Thursday, October 24, 2013

CPAP Journal, Day 1

Well, last night was my first with the CPAP machine. I was able to get some sleep,with a few minor hitches. The mask seems to form a tight enough seal around my nose for the most part, which is a relief. I found out when I got the machine calibrated yesterday that my insurance has a deductible between $500 and $1300, depending on where I go for supplies. It just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy about the Health Care system in America.

So first of all, big thanks are due to my father, who gave me the CPAP machine, which I would never be able to afford on my own. Thanks, Dad. I love you.

Now, back to last night. I took a sleeping pill beforehand, because I figured I may need the extra help to fall asleep the first time using this thing. I was able to fall asleep in about the same amount of time it takes me on a normal night. Adjusting the mask to my face seems easy enough; the straps move easily and the Velcro keeps them in place. However, the first time I woke up, I found that my teeth were clamped together tightly, in some subconscious effort to make sure I breathed only through the mask.

Of course, I did wake up 3 or 4 times in the night, which is about par for the course. No bad dreams this time, but I fell asleep at about 2:30 in the morning without putting the mask back on after a trip to the restroom and slept the rest of the night without it.

I guess the machine's whirring works as white noise, just like the fan I had used previously but had to unplug to make room for the CPAP. Fortunately, the machine comes with a humidifier reservoir, so I was not dried out by using it like I was in the hospital. I can sleep comfortably enough on my back or my left side, but sleeping on my right is awkward with the hose stretched across my body.

I would say that my first night with a CPAP mask was about as good as an average night's sleep. It was definitely not nearly as bad as I dreaded; no panic attacks or nightmares about being a rat in a maze. There are a few kinks to work out, but the final result was far better than I expected. A number of my friends tell me that I'll get used to the machine inside of a month, and will come to rely on it to provide a good night's sleep. I hope they're right. I'm going to try going to bed without a sleeping pill tonight. Let's say I'm...cautiously optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment